Monday, October 23, 2006

And the answer is ...

My wife is on the train to Moscow, probably being awoken right about now by the provodnitsa's knock. The rush for the bathroom will follow, with everyone standing in the corridor with their little hand-towel and their toothbrush and toothpaste. The sun will come up, instant coffee will be served, and then the train will pull into the capital, and off my wife will go to the embassy for her interview.

"What did you buy your husband for his last birthday?"

"Where were you married?"

"What color were the walls?"

"Did you say you would sleep on the left side of the bed?"

"And you don't know his astrological sign?"

"How did you meet?"

"Did you send his mother a birthday card?"

How long will the questioning continue? I don't know. I suspect there will be another handful of women there, maybe eight or ten. One will go, then the other, and at some point it'll be my wife, with the purpose being to prove that our marriage is true, that we are two people in love, that she is deserving of her immigrant's visa and Green Card and I should not be investigated for fraud.

Two days ago, it was three months since we were married. Tomorrow, it'll be three months since we filed our paperwork and initiated the immigration process.

I will keep you posted.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I trust all will go well and we look forward to the update.

If you need a reference send me an email. I can most certainly vouch for the fact that the marriage is legit. (Having attended the wedding and all that)

How long after the interview does it take to finalise the visa?

The Ranger said...

Don't worry. All will work out fine. She will be ask how you met and where and when you married. I went through this last year. No problems, please don't expect the worst it will not happen. All will be fine. Keep us posted. Cheers Patrick

Consul-At-Arms said...

The point of all those sorts of questions is merely to satisfy the interviewing officer that a genuine marriage relationship exists.

Otherwise there's no basis for the petition in the first place.

And that happens everyday, all over the world.