Sunday, September 03, 2006

Customer Service

In the days leading up to filing our I-130 in Moscow, I feared we were filling in some blanks wrong, maybe using a maiden name when we should be using a new name, and vice-versa. So, to make sure my wife's Green Card didn't get lost in the shuffle, I called the telephone number I'd found on the web, expecting a little customer service. Instead, I got a machine, voice mail, and was asked to punch in the code of the party I wanted. I did. The machine said this party does not subscribe to this service, goodbye, and promptly hung up.

It's now been almost six weeks since we dropped off that I-130, and we're still waiting for a call-back that says your paperwork has been approved by the Department of Homeland Security, we'd like you, the alien relative, to come into the Moscow Embassy for a final interview. I'm getting anxious, I'm saying, so I called a 1-888 number given to us in Moscow, from the woman at window #4. I thought I'd ask, "Hey, any chance you know what's going on? When we'll be seen? If this type of delay is normal? Because when do you start to suspect something's wrong? If you hear only silence, do you keep your head, knowing your government -- I'm from the government, I'm here to help! -- always has your best in mind? Or do you call?"

I called the 1-888 number, and what did the machine say?

This number is no longer in service.

2 Comments:

The Ranger said...

Why don't you go to the USCIS web page. Set up an account and you can check it anytime.

Stephan Clark said...

We haven't received any number or any kind of receipt, perhaps because it was filed at the Consulate, not through one of the regional addresses at USCIS. Once they approve our form, they'll contact Moscow, and Moscow will contact us. Until then, I think we just have to wait and wonder. But I'll be calling someone tomorrow to find out for sure, because it's getting a little crazy, not even having a Now Serving #.