Friday, October 21, 2005

The Return of the Return of Turkmenbashi

I first saw the link to this this several days ago over at Leopolis, but only now got around to reading it. Seems Turkmenbashi, my favorite authoritarian ruler, has banned recorded music at all public events, on TV and at weddings. He's already banned opera and ballet as "unnecessary," surely earning the respect and admiration of Miller High Life drinkers everywhere.

But listen, does anyone out there have a Turkmenistan connection? A Fulbrighter and I are considering a trip sometime in the New Year, as we're both fascinated by the world he's created and I would like to interview one of the women there who's trying to leave the country through an online marriage agency. But here's the thing: you need to be invited by someone to get a visa. Perhaps it's just a matter of "buying" an invitation, like you do in Russia. I still haven't sorted it all out for sure, but if there's someone out there who'd like a visitor, or knows someone who knows someone who does -- you get the idea -- drop me a line.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You could post a question on www.lightstalkers.org to see if anyone there has experience traveling in Turkmenistan.

The Ranger said...

Damn I love this guy. He is one of the biggest jokes ever played on mankind.
Kind of reminds me of the guy south of Miami..