Thursday, September 08, 2005

Seems I missed the party

Confronting allegations of corruption, Ukraine's President Victor Yuschenko "has sacked his government in a move that may mark the end of the coalition that won the Orange Revolution," according to this BBC Report found at Blog de Connard.

Oh well, I'm better suited to dysfunction anyway. And it's not like I didn't entirely expect it, what with recent reports about rampant corruption and stories of Yushchenko's 19-year-old son living large with fat bank rolls, a BMW, and a bling-bling cell-phone worth more than $5,000.

The director of the Kyiv Fulbright Office sent an email to all the incoming Fulbright scholars and students this morning, welcoming us (even those, like me, not in-country yet) to "what seems to be another interesting year in Ukraine." I'm sure all this is what she meant.

As for me, I leave tomorrow morning to run some final errands in Davis and Sacramento. From there I'll take a rental car to San Francisco and stay over night in an airport hotel. My father's flying to Norway Saturday afternoon, so he's with me, though his flight is less convoluted than mine. I catch an 8:30 a.m. plane to Chicago, and then connect through Munich and Kyiv, before finally arriving at Borispol International Airport (after three or four hour lay-overs in each city along the way) at 3:30 local time Sunday afternoon.

Don't know when my next post will be. Maybe a couple of days, maybe a week. If you want to know for sure, subscribe to Everybody I Love You by scrolling to the bottom of this page and entering your email address in the box. If you're worried about me doing something nefarious with the information you provide, don't worry: I wouldn't even know how. I'm simple that way.

0 Comments: